Why an AC + heater combo is a great investment to make
There are plenty of reasons that getting the best portable air conditioner and the heater is a good idea. They include the following:
- Portability – The first reason that you should want to get one of these units is right in its name. Unlike window air conditioners, which are very heavy and difficult to move from place to place, these machines are highly portable. All you need to do is wheel them to the room you want to use them in, install their vent, and let them heat or cool the space. Some, like the Emerson Quiet Kool EAPE14RD1, even come equipped with an easy carry handle that will allow you to move them up and down the stairs with ease.
- Space-saving design – While these machines do need to have a bit of room to operate in comparison to a window air conditioner, that doesn’t mean that they will be in your way. On the contrary, thanks to their slim design, you’ll barely even notice that they are there, especially if you get an extra slim model like the EdgeStar AP14001HS.
- Prepared for any type of weather – Another big benefit of selecting an air conditioner like this is that you will be prepared for any type of weather. While window air conditioners can only be used to cool a space, these machines can also heat the space. That means that you can run them pretty much year-round, which is hugely beneficial. Not only will this help to make your home a lot more comfortable, but it will also reduce the amount of stress your main heating and cooling system has to endure. These units will help to augment your main system, which will keep the cost of heating and cooling your house down dramatically.
- Cheaper to run – Another big benefit of this type of appliance is that they are much cheaper to run in comparison to window units. Since these machines are not affected by the outside temperature, they take much better readings of the actual temperature in the space they are being used. This allows them to do a better job of monitoring the actual temperature, which, in turn, keeps them from running too often. This will, obviously, save you a ton of money over the lifetime of the appliance.
- Efficient – Something else that these machines has going for them over window units is that they are much more efficient. Since the only thing that is exposed to the outside is the vent, these machines don’t lose as much of their air to the outside. Their vent also seals up the window much better than a window unit, which, again, allows them to run in a more efficient manner.
- Easy to install – As you can imagine, installing these portable air conditioner and heater combos are much easier than a standard window unit. All you need to do is open the window, place the vent into the opening, and close the window. Since the actual machine is not hanging out of the window, you don’t need to worry about it falling out or being installed incorrectly, which is a great relief.
Features to consider when choosing an air conditioner and heater combo
As you can imagine, there are plenty of different factors that you need to take into account before you make your final selection. In this section, we will go through all of these important aspects in detail, so that you can make a more informed decision.
The first thing that you want to take into account when you are looking for a portable air conditioner and heater combination is the overall coverage area. This number is usually communicated at square feet. Before you select an appliance, you should carefully measure your space to make sure that you know how much coverage you need to heat or cool.
If you are someone that has a larger home or rooms, then you’ll want to get something like the DELLA 14000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner, which has a coverage area up to and including 700 square feet. On the other hand, if you are looking to save a bit of money and you have a smaller space, you could go for something with a smaller coverage area like the BLACK+DECKER BPACT12HWT.
Cooling and heating power
The next thing that you will want to carefully consider is the amount of heating and cooling power you desire to have in your new appliance. This is usually written as BTUs. Basically, the higher the BTU output of your new air conditioner and heater combo, the more quickly it will be able to achieve the temperature that you desire. It should be noted that, regardless of BTU output, all of the models in our list can get to the same temperatures, but it will take them different amounts of time.
If you want to heat or cool your space as quickly as possible, then you’ll want to go for the EdgeStar AP14001HS, which has a BTU output for both heating and cooling of 14,000. This is especially impressive since most devices usually have a lower BTU output for heating than they do for cooling. The Serene Life SLACHT10 is another good option if you don’t mind the heat taking a bit longer to get up to temperature in comparison to when the unit is being used as an air conditioner.
Cooling and fan speeds
Something else that you will want to think about is how many different fan speeds you will need for your new appliance. While many window units only offer one fan speeds, these models usually have several cooling/heating and fan speeds to choose from. These extra modes will add a bit more to the overall cost of the unit but will allow you to heat or cool your space more quickly.
Generally speaking, you will usually be able to decide between three different fan speeds, no matter if you are heating and cooling with your unit. You can also just have a fan running to circulate air without providing any heat or cool air. There are also different settings that will automatically adjust the fan speed to meet your temperature demands, with the unit speeding up or slowing down the airflow based on how much hotter or cooler it needs to get.
One of the key concerns that lots of folks have with getting a portable air conditioner and heater is that they will take up too much room. Window units, they think, are the only way to go if you have a smaller space but want to cool it down. That is, thankfully, not the case. While the very first portable air conditioners were quite large and bulky, as the technology has advanced, they have slimmed down considerably.
For instance, the Serene Life SLACHT10 is quite slim. From front to back, it is only about 13 inches wide. This is just a little bit over a foot, which is much smaller than most end tables, and would easily fit next to a chair or sofa without sticking out at all. This slim design makes it a great option for anyone’s home. It would, however, be especially useful in a smaller space, such as a bedroom.
A big selling point of these portable units is that they are very easy to move from place to place. If you are only going to be taking them from room to room, in fact, the weight of the unit doesn’t really play any part in it. Since all of these models have wheels on the bottom, you can simply push them into position without having to lift them at all. This is a huge advantage over other types of air conditioners.
Where the weight will come into play, however, is if you intend to move your air conditioner up and down the steps each day. If this is the case, you need to make sure you get a smaller model, like the BLACK+DECKER BPACT12HWT.
Since these machines are filled with coolant, they might be difficult for some people to lift, so a smaller model will help to make this job a bit easier.
While there aren’t too many splashy features to be on the lookout with these machines, there are some that you might want to keep in mind. One such feature is a dehumidifier function. This function will help to cool your space off by removing the humidity from the room, all while not using as much energy as the machine would while running as an air conditioner.
You might also want to look for a model that comes with a reusable filter. The filters on any air conditioner or heater need to be cleaned or replaced once a month. By getting a model with a reusable filter, you will be able to save yourself a lot of money over the lifetime of the appliance.
As is the case when you buy any new appliance, it is a good idea to read through the warranty information as carefully as possible. That way, you will have a better understanding of what is and what isn’t covered under the company’s warranty program. The last thing that you want to have happened is for your machine to break down and then find out that you are not covered by what seemed like a great warranty. Even though all of the models on our list are quality units made by great companies, you still should make sure to read through the warranty information as carefully as possible, so there are no surprises.